Say you have an fantastic concept for a startup, some thing with real capacity. There is, but, a pretty large hassle: launching a business isn’t reasonably-priced, and as a scholar or current graduate, it’s difficult to finance a business on your personal. But, your idea is ideal. So what takes place subsequent? We’ve compiled a list of the top competitions aimed at current university undergraduates, graduate college students, latest alumni, and excessive faculty students from all around the global to now not most effective assist you check your business model in opposition to what your friends are doing (and gain meaningful revel in in the technique), however additionally remodel your idea right into a truth.1. High School Utah Entrepreneur Challenge
Hosted by way of the Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute at the University of Utah with sponsorship from Zions Bank, this competition is centered at high schoolers with large thoughts.
- What you need: A commercial enterprise idea that includes the following: a hassle, a proposed answer, a focused target audience/patron and a prototype.
- Who can practice: Any Utah high-schooler aged 14-18. Teams aren’t required however can consist of as much as 5 individuals.
- Where: This 12 months’s events are expected to be digital because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- What you could win: Prizes range in amount and kind based on award obtained.
- 2020-21 Deadline: Apply through Feb. 17, 2021.
- Website: https://lassonde.utah.edu/hsuec/
2. Blue Ocean High School Entrepreneurial Leaders
A international, virtual pitch competition for excessive college college students aimed to offer comments, strengthen ideas, and release students’ futures.
- What you want: A three-5 minute pitch for a massive concept.
- Who can apply: Any scholar presently in excessive college.
- Where: This is a virtual event performed via video submissions.
- What you could win: The grand prize winner receives $1,000, with different awards receiving up to $750. There also are possibilities for high faculties to obtain grant cash, too.
- 2020-21 Deadline: Apply via Feb. 19, 2021.
- Website: https://blueoceancompetition.org/
3. Get Seeded
Designed to help get thoughts off the floor, this two-component milestone provide investment application seeks out college students with measurable goals and allows fund the entrepreneurial process. This program is managed by means of the Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute at the University of Utah and sponsored by Chad and Kristen Anselmo and doxy.me.
- What you want: A startup with short-term measurable milestones (prototyping, advertising, etc.) that can be completed inside 30-ninety days.
- Who can observe: Any university scholar in Utah.
- Where: The University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, even though area is issue to change because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- What you could win: There are two grants opportunities: a microgrant of up to $500, and a Seed Grant for $501-1,500.
- 2020-21 Deadline: Regular furnish periods. See internet site for info.
- Website: https://lassonde.utah.edu/getseeded/
4. TechCrunch’s Startup Battlefield
A competition for early-stage startups to acquire fairness-loose prize money, in addition to widespread buyers and media interest.
- What you want: A mid-level startup with clean thoughts and products or services within the improvement tiers.
- Who can apply: Anyone with a startup idea is invited to take part.
- Where: The first round of competition is regional, and is concern to exchange because of the continued COVID-19 pandemic.
- What you can win: Global opposition winners receive $a hundred,000 in prize money.
- 2020-21 Deadline: Application dates have no longer yet been up to date, as they range by area.
- Website: https://techcrunch.com/
5. Hatch Pitch
Hosted with SXSW in Austin, Texas, until 2016, this is a opposition targeted on startups with records technology angles.
- What you need: A corporation wherein the founders retain some part of ownership, as well as a services or products that released sometime in the beyond 2 years (or within 6 months after the Hatch Pitch occasion.)
- Who can follow: Anyone who meets the above criteria. There isn’t any precise age restrict or schooling requirement.
- Where: Houston, Texas, even though area is subject to change because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- What you could win: Winners can acquire any amount of funding primarily based on investors’ hobby. All contestants receive active training and mentoring, as well as publicity for their standards.
- 2020-21 Deadline: Applications are obtained on a rolling basis.
- Website: https://www.hatchpitch.com/observe-full-shape
6. Rice University Business Plan Competition
A digital 3-day competition that bills for pitches, comments, and choose interplay, designed to offer entrepreneurs actual-world revel in.
- What you want: A commercial enterprise in the seed, startup, or early increase stages
- Who can observe: Any complete-time or component-time U.S. graduate college students. Teams must have at least one graduate pupil and a faculty consultant, however best college students can gift.
- Where: Rice University in Houston, Texas.
- What you may win: The grand prize winner receives $one hundred twenty five,000 in equity capital from a Houston funding group as well as $20,000 in cash and approximately $eighty,000 in offerings. This includes a 12 months’s well worth of office space.
- 2020-21 Deadline: Apply by Feb. 2, 2021, for the April 5-nine, 2021 opposition.
- Website: https://rbpc.rice.edu/
7. New Venture Championship, University of Oregon
This digital competition attracts students who want to “create something awesome,” and may bridge the distance among a market want and a real answer.
- What you want: A enterprise majorly owned by way of students that has a school advisor, searching out seed capital.
- Who can apply: Teams of 2-five college students who created, manipulate, and own their ventures and who’re allocated at least 50% of the startup’s equity. At least one member of the crew is needed to be enrolled in a graduate software from any field.
- Where: Portland, Oregon.
- What you could win: Up to $50,000 in prize cash is up for grabs. If you don’t make it to the top round, you can still compete in a lightning spherical for prize money for the duration of the finals.
- 2020-21 Deadline: Applications are due by way of Feb. 14, 2021, to compete within the qualifying round (Feb. 15 – March 20).
- Website: https://business.uoregon.edu/nvc/info
8. ClimateTech & Energy Prize @ MIT
A competition aimed at any scholar who wants to exchange the manner we take care of power.
- What you want: A business targeted on considered one of four classes: Generating Energy, Delivering Energy, Improving Energy Usage or Energy for Developing Economies.
- Who can follow: University teams from across the US.
- Where: Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- What you can win: The top two groups in each class go on to compete for a $one hundred,000 Grand Prize and other economic prizes.
- 2020-21 Deadlines: Applications due on Feb. 5, 2021.
- Website: https://cep.mit.edu/intro
9. Baylor Business New Venture Competition
Hosted by means of Baylor University, this -music opposition is nationwide.
- What you need: A business in certainly one of opposition tracks: Internet and Consumer Technology and Non-Internet and Consumer Technology Companies. Internet and Consumer Technology corporations must goal to impact one of the following industries: Internet Services, Internet Security, Info Tech, Software Cloud, Mobile Tech, Mobile Apps, Mobile Commerce, Web/e-Commerce, Social Commerce, Social Networking, Social Media, Social Gaming, Video Gaming.
- Who can practice: Current college students or latest alumni (within the last 15 months) in groups with 2-four individuals.
- Where: Baylor University in Waco, Texas.
- What you could win: All prizes are in cash and range from a grand prize of $60,000 to $1,500 for 2d and 1/3-spherical winners.
- 2021-2022 Deadlines: Dates have not yet been up to date for the following yr. The 2021 opposition may be streamed from Mar. 25-27, 2021.
- Website: https://www.baylor.edu/enterprise/newventurecompetition/
10. Innovation World Cup Series
This is a worldwide opposition cut up into classes wherein individuals connect and compete in a convention setting.
- What you want: A business that is involved within the net of factors or wearable generation within the fields of Home, City, Lifestyle, Industrial, Transportation, Healthcare, and Retail.
- Who can practice: If you are 18 or older and in no manner affiliated with Navispace, the host, you could observe.
- Where: Munich, Germany.
- What you could win: Prize pool of $500,000, with networking and exposure blanketed
- 2020-21 Deadlines: Applications are open now, and due by way of Sept. 22, 2021.
- Website: https://www.innovationworldcup.com/thirteenth-iot-wt-innovation-international-cup/
eleven. Utah Entrepreneur Challenge