The Internet TESL Journal
peter.daly [at] edhec.edu
EDHEC Business School (Lille - Nice, France)
This paper reflects on the varieties of case research available to language newbies and instructors and elaborates a method on how these case studies may be exploited to maximise student speaking time within the language study room. Not all case research are the same and with exclusive degrees of difficulty and skills trained, the choice of case observe is tantamount to the success of your magnificence. Case research are extremely wealthy in content material and can offer the learner with the capability to consolidate already received knowledge and train precise language and managerial abilities. Language teachers inexperienced within the use of the case look at method can be inhibited through the content-based nature of the case examine and therefore shrink back from the use of case studies in elegance. This teaching methodology should assist teachers plan their lecture room to make certain effective execution of a case take a look at.
Case Studies in the Language Classroom
What do instructors do in the event that they have advanced language newcomers, who may have positive grammatical, lexical or pronunciation troubles but for the maximum part are at ease in their L2. This is a problem we face continuously in our language study room and we discovered that case research provide the answer to the above catch 22 situation. The case observe technique has been used in lots of fields in third level training and also lends itself nicely to language studying. The next query may be in which to locate suitable case research which can be now not too content-led and do not presuppose an in-intensity understanding of a particular difficulty remember. As the main goal of the language instructor is not to educate content but alternatively enhance the students communicative competence and oral skillability inside the L2, case research written by means of language teachers and tailored to the language school room are more appropriate than case research written with the aid of commercial enterprise teachers. There are various guides on the market which reply to the language instructors desires. While a few books provide simulations with prescribed roles (Crowther-Alwyn 1997; 1999), others combine mini-instances at the stop of each chapter managing a specific subject matter which include international advertising and marketing or finance (Cotton, Falvey & Kent, 2000; 2001). As a long way as interactive case research pass, two awesome kinds of case look at can be diagnosed: those that offer the learner with centered content enter to education a specific skill which includes negotiating, interviewing, problem-fixing or selection-making (Castler & Palmer, 1989) and those which can be extra unfastened to interpretation and call at the teacher to pick the desired technique and classroom method (Witte 1999). Advantages of the Case Study to the Language Teacher
Many instructors turn away from the use of case studies inside the school room situation for lots reasons. First of all, they’ll experience that they will be engulfed inside the content component of the case study and lose face before their college students. Secondly, they will no longer be snug with the role shift of their coaching - from instructor to facilitator. Finally, teachers who’re used to a transmission fashion of teaching may also sense that coaching isn’t always in reality occurring if they use simulations or case research.
However, the benefits of case studies are numerous. Some of them are set out below:
The Case Study Classroom
I even have divided this segment into three elements:
1. Case Study Introduction
It is extraordinarily important that the case studies are properly prepared earlier in order that every student is aware of what his position is. It isn’t sufficient just to offer the case have a look at to the pupil and wish that they will apprehend the way to use it. This is the error made with the aid of many teachers surprising with the case look at method. There are many methods of introducing the case look at to your students.
Here is a listing of steps that ought to be completed all through the case take a look at advent class.
1) Read the case examine very well with your students. Here you can deal with any lexical or grammatical troubles. You may additionally want to ask your college students to symbolize the historical past data in a visual form. Use the blackboard or flipchart to get a clean picture of the organization heritage. An example is shown in Figure 1. As you can see in this case, the main facts is extracted from the case have a look at, so as to then be used later for similarly evaluation.
- Company Name
- $1.four m
- Profit in 2001
- $500 ,000
- Number of Employees
- Head Office
- New York
- Product Range
- White items
Figure 1. Example of visual representation of heritage facts in a case examine
2) Provide the scholars with some input on how they must analyse the case study. The trouble fixing analysis underneath is an instance of the way to get the scholars to analyse the case critically.
- a) Read the case numerous times.
- b) Define the primary problems/troubles.
- c) Set out the firms objectives.
- d) Identify alternatives open to the firm.
- e) Draw up some standards to evaluate the options chosen.
- f) Select the exceptional option.
- g) Decide on how the option ought to be implemented.
- h) Draw up an movement plan to enforce the answer selected.
3) Pre-train the language required to speak about the case examine. There are many publications in the marketplace for coaching meeting competencies, presentation abilities or negotiation talents. It is important to choose the talent you would like to attention on and educate the particular language. If we take conferences as an instance, we should do a number of the following:
- refer college students to web sites to examine up on the skill being practised. A net search will reveal any quantity of interesting web sites.
- If students have get entry to to libraries, then they could examine up on meeting capabilities in one of the many communique books available on the market
- brainstorm some key standards of conferences including kind of meetings, people at a meeting, verbs, and so on (see the worksheet in Appendix 1.)
- move on to the language of meetings – offer the scholars with useful language input for each the chairperson and the members together with the language of contradicting and disagreeing, interrupting, taking the floor and so on.
- familiarise the students with the documents of meeting – the form and content material of agendas, mins and memos. This need to offer the scholar with greater language input together with AOB, topics bobbing up out of the closing assembly, absentees, and so forth.
- divide the elegance into small organizations. You can either ask them to shape the groups themselves or you can shape the organizations primarily based on your class lists.
2. Case Study Class